What are you supposed to do with your dog during home showings? This guide explains your options when prospective buyers come to call.
What Should You Do With Your Dog During Home Showings?
If you’re a pet parent who’s selling a home in Boca Raton, your real estate agent will most likely talk to you about taking your pet with you when people come to see your space. For most people, it’s as simple as telling the dog it’s time to go for a ride – but in other cases, it’s a little more challenging.
So what should you do with your dog during home showings? Check out these options:
- Send your pup to doggie daycare
- Take your pet with you in the car
- Go for a long walk
Regardless of what you choose to do, there’s one thing you should never do: Leave your dog at home.
Find Out How Much Your Home is Worth Now
Quick Home Value
What’s Wrong With Leaving Your Dog at Home During Showings?
You should never leave your dog at home during a home showing. There are many reasons for this, but most notably:
- Some people are allergic to pets. The last thing you want to do is send a buyer into a sneezing fit before they’ve even had a chance to appreciate your homes best features. Even worse, a buyer could fall in love with your home but fail to make an offer because all they can think about is the left behind pet dander that may be in the space.
- Some people don’t like pets. You don’t want to alienate a prospective buyer simply because you didn’t take your dog with you for a showing. If a buyer doesn’t like pets, it could prevent them from making an offer on your home – even if your home is otherwise perfect for them.
- Some people are afraid of dogs. In some cases, it doesn’t matter whether you have a teacup poodle or a Great Dane; some people have legitimate fears that you don’t need to make them face.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking that you can leave your pet in one particular room and let buyers and their agents know that that room is off limits. You want buyers to be able to see every square inch of your home when they come for a tour; otherwise, they’re almost certainly not going to make an offer. You shouldn’t leave your dog in the backyard, either. That’s because the yard is another place that buyers may need to explore. They may not do so if your dog is out there.
Pro Tip: Make sure you clean up your dog’s business before showings, too. You don’t want buyers accidentally stepping in anything, which will most likely kill your chance at a sale, or tracking it through your home.
Great Doggie Daycares in Boca Raton
If you don’t personally know a pet sitter and need to find a great doggie daycare, here’s a quick list of some local spots that get great reviews.
- Dogtopia of Boca Raton: 561-392-2275
- Petlover Central: 561-241-3977
- Camp Bow Wow: 569-709-7300
- Wagtastic Pet Care: 561-880-7542
- Clint Moore Pet Resort and Spa: 561-487-0226
Are You Buying or Selling a Home in Boca Raton?
Ready to sell your home quickly and at the right price? Find out how much your home is worth now!
If you’re looking for a new home in Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach or Highland Beach, we can help. Use these popular one-click searches to find what you’re looking for:
- Boca Raton homes for sale
- Delray Beach homes for sale
- Highland Beach homes for sale
- Pet-friendly 55+ communities in Delray Beach
- Over-55 communities in Delray Beach
- Boca Raton gated communities
- Pet-friendly 55+ communities in Boca Raton
Get Instant Access to Hot New Listings by Filling Out the Form Below