If you’re like many pet parents selling a home, you know that some homebuyers don’t want anything to do with pets. In fact, you and your REALTOR® may have already discussed things like removing your pets’ toys, beds and food dishes from your home when a prospective buyer comes in for a tour – but what about pet odors?
Fortunately, there are three simple ways you can remove pet odors from your home – even the ones you can’t tell are there – and this guide explains.
3 Simple Ways to Remove Pet Odors From Your Home
When you have pets, you know that they leave odors in your home – and even if you can’t detect them, there’s a good chance that pet-free people can. Check out these three simple ways to eradicate pet odors for good:
- Have your carpets and furnishings professionally cleaned
- Wash and dry all the items your pet uses on a daily basis
- Sprinkle baking soda or spray vinegar everywhere
Tip #1 for Removing Pet Odors From Your Home: Have Your Carpets and Furnishings Professionally Cleaned
The best way to remove pet odors from your home is to have your carpets and furnishings professionally cleaned. The pros can use all kinds of pet-friendly and people-friendly products that neutralize odors (even tough ones, like urine) so people who come to tour your home don’t even know you have a pet.
If you’re not ready to spring for professional cleaning just yet, think about renting professional cleaning equipment. Many grocery stores and home improvement stores offer affordable rates on steam cleaners. And if that’s not in the cards for you, don’t stress; you can remove a lot of pet odors by simply vacuuming and cleaning the floors, plus paying extra attention to the areas where your pet spends most of their time.
Tip #2 for Removing Pet Odors From Your Home: Wash and Dry All the Items Your Pet Uses on a Daily Basis
Pet beds, sofa cushions and other spaces that pets frequent all need to be cleaned to get rid of pet odor. Take extra-special care to clean up any spots where your pet hangs out, and if you find that you can’t clean an item (such as a pet bed) adequately, it may be time to toss it and invest in a new one.
If you’re washing your pet’s bed, follow this advice:
- Wash it at the highest possible temperature, which will kill off bacteria
- Don’t use fabric softener – it can irritate your pet’s skin and change the scent of the bed (and strong synthetic smells may turn off your pet)
- Use an extra rinse cycle to ensure that all the detergent is washed away
- Air dry the bed or put it in the dryer at low heat – and don’t use dryer sheets (they’re just like fabric softener when it comes to irritation and scent)
Tip #3 for Removing Pet Odors From Your Home: Sprinkle Baking Soda or Spray Vinegar Everywhere
Baking soda is a natural odor neutralizer. You may even use it in your cabinets, refrigerator or freezer. Sprinkle some on your pet’s bed, sofa cushions and carpet; then let it sit for several minutes, absorbing odors. When you’ve given it enough time to work, vacuum it away.
You can also use vinegar, which is a natural cleaning option for tough odors. Find a spray bottle and add 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water. Spray it on carpets or floors, or use it in combination with baking soda on bedding or sofa cushions. Just be sure to test a small patch of fabric before you start spritzing it everywhere – you don’t want to damage your flooring or furniture.
Related: 10 dog safety tips for hurricanes
Are You Buying or Selling a Home in Boca Raton?
Ready to sell your home quickly and at the right price? Find out how much your home is worth now!
If you’re looking for a new home in Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach or Highland Beach, we can help. Use these popular one-click searches to find what you’re looking for:
- Boca Raton homes for sale
- Delray Beach homes for sale
- Highland Beach homes for sale
- Pet-friendly 55+ communities in Delray Beach
- Over-55 communities in Delray Beach
- Boca Raton gated communities
- Pet-friendly 55+ communities in Boca Raton
Get Instant Access to Hot New Listings by Filling Out the Form Below